Wednesday 22 October 2014

drafting and planning, codes and conventions

We were given the task of completing 5 music magazine front covers using our knowledge on codes and conventions. Each cover had a main cover star, masthead and barcode and it was our task to add to it. I was able to do this task because of my knowledge of codes and conventions shown in this previous task: http://stevesasmedia.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/in-one-of-my-media-studies-lessons-we.html
Here I implemented a main cover line
that matched the masthead, both in font
and in colour and for the other cover lines
I also used red and black which altogether
created a consistent colour scheme.
I also organized the cover lines around the main
image which created a clear layout. In the
the cover lines I used red to emphasize a
word's importance to the viewers that would also
make them interested.
The anchorage text also entices the readers
to read the article as it briefly reveals what the
article is about and its separated out into three
main lines, 'drake, revealed, the man...' which is a typical convention of music magazines





 Here I used a similar font for the main cover line
that is big and bold, which gives clarity to the
potential buyers and its a typical convention for
music magazines.
I implemented a puff with 'exclusive' this is in contrast
to the text around it so it stands out and intrigues the
potential buyers who would be attracted to it and seek to find out more.
I also added in a secondary image which is another
convention that visually communicates the other content
in the magazine.
The colour scheme contains lively and bright colours
because of the warm lively colours of the image
as well as the bright happy facial expressions of the cover stars
Here I used a soft and round edged font which matches
that of the masthead and complies with the gentle
calm nature of the main image. The colours also comply with this as they are soft and match the tint of the image.
The font that I used for the rest of the text is quite quirky, which complies with the Niche market that this magazine would be aimed at.
I also included two more typical conventions, a puff and
a band list. These help advertise the variety of content within the
magazine and demonstrates that there is more than one reason to buy it



Here, I added in anchorage text (the main cover line was already there) to entice the reader about the band being featured and I used a font that matched the cover line and the formal, conventional style of this type of magazine.

I made it the colour red so that it complied with the masthead and the other cover line to create a conventional colour scheme with the connotative effect being that kings of leon are a dangerous buy band, a typical image.

I also included a secondary image of the arctic monkeys which are another boy band that would more than likely fit the genre of music this magazine is aimed at.





Here I used an edgy font that is bold and clear which communicates the serious style of this genre of music but also helps to generate a fear factor in combination with the image. This would be one of the conventions of a niche magazine of this kind.

 I used the colour red again to comply with the masthead and the serious, dangerous style of the magazine.

I then implemented an artist list in the secondary colour, white, as these aren't as important as Marilyn manson or nine inch nails the second featured band/ artist. The font I used for this is edgy and serious but is simple and clear, so its still in compliance with the serious niche style of this magazine


1 comment:

  1. Question 1) You have explained all of the codes and conventions of each magazine and your fonts/images/cover stories all stick to the ethos of the magazines.
    Question 2) I think both of your M magazines look very realistic, as the colour schemes work really well as they look bold and eyecatching because of the bright and dark contrasts. I also think pitch magazine successfully looks realistic because of the colour scheme, the font you have used especially links to the ethos of the magazine. I like that you have included a secondary image but on this magazine in particular it may not have been necessary because the main image is so powerful. I like the way you have used a similar font to the masthead in the sound magazine, I think this makes a great connection and shows that you've really thought about a consistent layout.
    Question 3) Overall, I think you have been mostly successful in the editing of the magazines I would especially expect to see both M magazines and pitch magazine in a shop. To improve on music_x magazine you could have used cover stories in detail and used a sharper font. But similarly to pitch magazine, a secondary image may not have been needed. but to improve even further, maybe think deeper about what works and what doesn't rather than just trying to include every code and convention in every magazine.

    ReplyDelete